- Digital companion for MINI owners, new MINI App offers enhanced digital customer experience with new look and functionality.
Woodcliff Lake, N.J., March 31, 2021. MINI USA announced today the launch of a new MINI App that provides customers a new level of connectivity and digital services for their vehicles. The new MINI App features a new design along with an intuitive, simplified user experience, that offers updated features and information, including services for customers with electrified MINIs.
The new generation app supersedes the MINI Connected App, further expanding the seamless integration of features to enhance the digital customer experience. The new MINI App runs on both iOS and Android operating systems and is now available to be downloaded free of charge from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
New MINI App Features and Highlights
- REMOTE ACCESS TO VEHICLE STATUS AND FUNCTIONS: The new MINI App is the new universal interface to the vehicle. It displays information about the status of the vehicle and offers access to remote services such as locking and unlocking the doors and locating the car via the “Vehicle Finder” button.
- AMAZON ALEXA INTEGRATION: The new MINI App also provides integration with Amazon Alexa in vehicles from model year 2019 onwards. Once customers have linked their Amazon account to the app, the voice service can be activated with the touch of a button on the steering wheel and prompting “Alexa”. This makes it possible for customers to use voice control to play music, call up messages, control compatible smart home devices and access a wide range of functions via Amazon Alexa.
- SMART SERVICES FOR ELECTRIFIED MINI OWNERS: The new MINI App offers services for the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid and the all-electric MINI Cooper SE, with an improved overview of electric range as well as charging status. Using the app’s Charge and Climate Timer Function, customers can optimize the charging process by defining specific time windows and departure times. In addition, the vehicle’s interior can be pre-conditioned (heating in winter or cooling in summer) to increase comfort.
- NAVIGATION FEATURES ON THE GO: Destinations are easy to find using the integrated search function and can be sent directly from the app to the vehicle’s navigation system. It is also possible to send destinations from third-party apps. The map shows the current traffic situation, fueling and charging stations as well as parking facilities.
- THE SHORTEST WAY TO MINI SERVICE. The new MINI App allows customers to keep an eye on their vehicle’s service requirements. Depending on the preferences set, customers may receive notifications to the new MINI App when their vehicle requires service. They can then schedule a service appointment with their MINI dealer through the new MINI App. MINI Roadside Assistance can also be reached via the app in the event support is needed. With authorization, service staff can see the location of the vehicle and its status for immediate over-the-air assistance.
Underpinning the rapid expansion of the new MINI App’s content and its fast-paced rollout is an innovative, scalable and universal software architecture. This has been developed fully in-house by the BMW Group using Flutter, an open-source UI development kit from Google for the Dart programming language.
Its scalable universal architecture will support future requirements, allowing new functions and customer requests to be easily and quickly implemented. This helps to pave the way for constant advances, with rolling updates that allow functionality to be improved and expanded.
The US launch of the new MINI App is part of a global roll-out that began last July, and by mid-2021 the new MINI App will have been launched in more than 40 countries and 23 languages around the world.
About MINI in the US
MINI is an independent brand of the BMW Group. In the United States, MINI USA operates as a business unit of BMW of North America, LLC, located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey and includes the marketing and sales organizations for the MINI brand. The MINI USA sales organization is represented in the U.S. through a network of 116 MINI passenger car dealers. MINI USA began selling vehicles in the U.S. in 2002 with the introduction of the MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S Hardtops. Since then, the MINI Brand in the U.S. has grown to encompass a model range of five unique vehicles.
Journalist notes: Media information about MINI and its products is available to journalists on-line at www.miniusanews.com.